The following is an excerpt from ‘The Naked Communist’, an education text written in 1958 with the intent of educating the student in the concept of communism. Toward the end of the book the author describes actions people can take to help circumvent the proliferation of communism within the United States.
What Can the Individual Do?
The war between freedom and slavery is not just a fight to be waged by Congressmen, the President, soldiers and diplomats. Fighting Communism, Socialism and the subversion of constitutional government is everybody’s job. And working for the expansion of freedom is everybody’s job. It is a basic American principle that each individual knows better than anyone else what he can do to help once he has become informed. No citizen will have to go far from his own home to find a faltering battle line which needs his aid. Communist influences are gnawing away everywhere and thousands of confused citizens often aid and abet them by operating in a vacuum of their own ignorance. The task is therefore to become informed and then move out for action!
Suggestions for Parents
- Stay close to your children to make sure they are being trained to think like Washington and Lincoln, not like Marx and Lenin.
- In providing physical needs for your family, don’t forget their spiritual needs. We are in an ideological war.
From a Marxist viewpoint an atheistic mind is already three fourths conquered.
- Take your children to church, don’t send them. Be sure they are getting true religious values, not modernistic
- Help your children grow up. Don’t fall for the current Socialist-Communist line that parents are a detriment to their children. They are only a detriment when they don’t do their job.
- Children require a formula of 90% love and 10% discipline.
- Do not fall for the “permissive school of psychology which says discipline will harm human development. Such thinking produces hoodlums with maladjusted personalities who are likely to fall for every “ism” that comes along. A child needs to know that he lives in an orderly world. Discipline is part of it-not extreme harshness but a reasonable and consistent enforcement of the rules.
- Because “youth problems” happened to be one of my own areas of professional study, I wrote a book designed to answer the Communist and Socialist charge that modern parents cannot do a good job of raising children”.
- Be active in PTA. If you are not, Communists and centralized planners will take over.
- Have a “freedom library” in your home. Include good biographies of the founding fathers.
- Take a little time each day to keep up with political problems at home and abroad.
- Subscribe to a good news magazine such as U.S. News and World Report.
- Where you have older children, make current events part of the dinner table talk. Be quick to point out left-wing
slanting of news, TV or radio broadcasts. There is far more of this slanting than most people realize.
- Organize a family, a neighborhood or church study group. Help your family realize that there is a great struggle going on in the world which they can help to win.
- Let your children see that you are interested in civic affairs, that you participate in political affairs, that you are
concerned with what is going on. They borrow many of their own attitudes from you.
Suggestions for Teachers
- The most important single force in winning against Communism is in the field of education. Therefore you are in the front-line trenches.
- Be certain you have taken time to get a good background on Communistic thought so you can detect it quickly wherever it appears.
- Define for students the difference between the factors which made Americans the first free people in modern times and the principles which have destroyed freedom wherever the Socialists and Communists have taken over.
- Help the students understand that free enterprise has produced and distributed more material wealth than any other system man has yet discovered. Point out that it also permits most of our citizens to make a living doing the things they enjoy. At least they can change jobs if they don’t like what they are doing. It is also vital for students to appreciate that the remaining weaknesses in our system are important, but they are minute compared to the monumental problems of the bare-subsistence economies under Socialism and Communism.
- Beware of those who come pretending to help education when they are trying to seize control of education. Socialist and Communist planners have ambitions to eliminate all local control-which means the teachers themselves would lose control.
- Be alert to the fact that education was infiltrated by the Socialist-Communist contingent over thirty-five years ago. Many of them were top-echelon personalities who worked their way into leading educational organizations. Because they were hard workers they gained sweeping control of some of our most respected institutions.
- Read “Education for One Socialist World,” which is Chapter 8 in The UN Record, by Chesly Manly (Henry Regnery Co., Chicago, 1955). On page 175 Mr. Manly lists a number of books which every teacher should read in order to be aware of the attack against American education during the past four decades.
- In addition, you will find the following books helpful:
CONQUEST OF THE AMERICAN MIND, by Dr. Felix Witt-
mer, (Meador Publishing Co., Boston)
WHAT’S HAPPENED TO OUR SCHOOLS? by Rosalie M.
Gordon, a pamphlet published by America’s Future,
Inc., New Rochelle, N.Y.
THE TURNING OF THE TIDES, by Paul W. Shafer and
John Howland Snow. (Long House Publishers.)
PROGRESSIVE EDUCATION IS REDUCATION by Jones and
Olivier. (Meador Publishing Co., Boston.)
BRAINWASHING IN THE HIGH SCHOOLS by Dr. E. Merrill
Root. (Devin-Adair, New York)
COMMUNIST-SOCIALIST PROPAGANDA IN AMERICAN
SCHOOLS, by Verne P. Kaub (Published by Lakeshore
Press, Madison, Wisconsin.)
- If any of the educational organizations to which you belong are Socialist-oriented, try to recapture them. Do not try to do it alone. Gather a group of alerted teachers around you and move forward as an organized group.
- Encourage the teaching of “Communist Problems” in the school. Such a course can become an excellent vehicle to teach American students how to appreciate their own way of life. The name of the course is important. “Communist Problems” is likely to be more acceptable than teaching “Communism.”
- Watch for slanted passages in text books. Socialist authors have invaded the textbook field. So have some with even more radical views. “Brainwashing in the High Schools,” by E. Merrill Root, is an analysis of 11 American history books which reflect the destructive left-wing line.
- Don’t be misled by the current atheistic drive to take God out of the classroom. “Separation of church and state” was to keep creeds out of the curriculum, but not God. It would be as unconstitutional to teach irreligion in the classroom as it would be to emphasize some particular religion. As teachers we are not to teach a particular faith, but parents are within their rights when they insist that the classroom is not be used by those few teachers who seek to destroy faith. Teachers who believe that teaching atheism is a necessary part of a good education are not really qualified to teach in a Judaic-Christian culture. They are entitled to be atheists but, as public employees, they are not entitled to teach it. If they do, they are violating an important constitutional principle.
- Encourage patriotic speakers at school assemblies. Excellent films are also available. Many organizations now have well-informed speakers who can give impressive talks on subjects which arouse excellent student response.
- When a Freedom Forum is held in your area, try to attend.
Suggestions for Students
- The mind of the student is considered a major battlefield by Communist strategists. The Communist conquest of a country is always preceded by the extensive activities of “converted intellectuals.” However, the most vigorous
antagonists of Communism are some of these same intellectuals who have been disillusioned and returned to the side of freedom.
- You will never have more time to study Communism than while you are in school. Try to get a genuine under-
standing of it. Learn its philosophy, its history and its fallacies.
- When you run across dedicated Socialists, remember that the only difference between a Socialist and a Communist is in the method of takeover. The desire to seize monolithic control of society is the same in both. Sometimes people
forget that USSR stands for the Union of Soviet Socialist Some people count Socialism “good” and Communism “bad.” In reality the two are twins.
- Be quick to detect left-wing slanting in textbooks and lectures.
- Become acquainted with the latest Communist “line”. Work up answers to their charges and proposals.
- Be sure to remain fair and forthright. Never stoop to Communist tactics to win a point.
- You can enjoy school far more when your education becomes purposeful. Get acquainted with the Communist problems and it will suddenly make economics, history, philosophy, political science, sociology and psychology come alive. These are all related to the war for survival in which we are now engaged.
- Be conscious of the fact that people look at world events through one of two windows. Out of one window the students (and sometimes the professor) see only blue skies. Out of the other window the student can see storm clouds. This is the window to watch. This is where history is being made, and the person who doesn’t keep his eye on this window is caught unawares when the storm breaks. On the day of the Pearl Harbor attack, most Americans had to move from window No.1 to window No.2 with great speed. They came close to being too late. Damage from the world’s threatening political storms can be avoided only by anticipating them-by being vigilant and alert.
- If you have difficulty in philosophy and your mind is plagued with doubts, read the experience of a student described in the last chapter of this book.
- Resist the radical element on campus who advocate “mass action” and violent demonstrations. These are usually the tools of Communist agitators. They get students to demonstrate, and this usually provokes a fight. When the police try to restore order, the Communists slip away in an effort to let the students take the blame. When Communist agitators got the students to wreck the Congressional hearings at San Francisco during May of 1960, the judge decided to release them because he felt the students could already see how they had been duped into fronting for professional anti-Americans.
- Organize a student group to study Communism and Americanism. Challenge socialists and pro-Communists on the camp Publish a paper. Set up a speaker’s bureau. Write letters to your school paper. Get experience in making peaceful democratic processes work.
- A rapidly growing student organization with a patriotic purpose is “The Torchbearers.” Suggestions on how to set up a school chapter may be obtained by writing to The Torchbearers, 5354 W. 126th Street, Hawthorne, California.
Suggestions for Businessmen
- Remember that Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, Madison, Adams, and the rest of the founding fathers were not “colonial aristocrats” as some textbooks proclaim, but were just successful businessmen. Because they were willing to sit down and think through the problems of their day, we inherited a free nation.
- Take time from the pressures of business to stay Subscribe to a good news magazine such as U.S. News and World Report.
- Become a member of an organization which will send you frequent intelligence reports on current problems. One of the most effective private agencies in this field is the American Security Council, 205 West Monroe Street, Chicago, Illinois.
- Take an active\ part in the political party of your choice. Watch for the strong Socialist influence which is trying to take over both parties. Do not hesitate to throw your financial strength and your time behind the fight for It cost Washington $65,000 to leave his business and serve in the Revolutionary Army. In current inflated money values this would represent nearly half a million dollars.
- If you belong to a service club, get it in the fight for Most civic clubs have a special committee to inspire patriotic interests. Invite speakers to keep the business community alert.
- Sponsor essay and speech contests in the schools to promote American ideals and resistance to deceptive Communist propaganda.
- Openly resist the sale of goods to the Soviet empire and call for a total embargo against the USSR and her satellites.
- Work for a more equitable tax structure which is not arbitrary and confiscatory. Economic freedom is part of political freedom.
- If your employees are in a union, seek the cooperation of union officials in conducting a study course on Communism for your personnel. If no union is involved, ask your employees whether they would like such a course. The American Security Council can provide a complete program with speakers, films, tapes and literature. Many other organizations are also available to help.
- Get your local Chamber of Commerce behind regular Freedom Forums which will help keep the entire community alert.
- Be careful not to contribute to an organization until you know it is a bona fide patriotic group. Unknowingly, some businessmen have been financing cited Communist front organizations. If you are a member of the American Security Council, you can check on any organization or any individual through their files.
- Constantly keep in mind that American business is a major target for Communist propaganda. Be alert to any activities which could feed ammunition to the enemy.
- Furnish views and suggestions to your State and Federal legislators. A letter to a congressman has more impact than many people realize.
Suggestions for Legislators
- The war between freedom and slavery can be lost in the legislative halls of free men. The wave of Socialism which is sweeping many free western nations toward a kind of suppressive feudalism is gaining ground. In this battle our legislators are on the first line of defense.
- The entire fabric of American security has been badly weakened by technical decisions of the Supreme Court in recent years. The only remedy is legislative action to restore these security laws.
- Federal legislators should continue to support the Congressional Committees which are under attack by the Communist Party and their fellow travelers. This attack is a top priority project of the Communist Party at the present time.
- Restore to Congressional committees the right to determine whether the questions asked of pro-Communist witnesses are pertinent.
- Restore to Congressional committees the same freedom to investigate Communists and pro-Communists that these committees have always had when investigating business and
- Restore to the states the right to enforce their own anti-subversive laws.
- Restore to the Smith Act the provision which makes it a crime to teach or advocate the violent overthrow of the Government.
- Restore to the Smith Act the meaning of “organize” which includes organizational work done after 1945 so that Communist agents cannot hide behind the statute of limita
- Restore to the executive branch of the government the right to determine “reasonable grounds” and to dismiss security risks in both sensitive and non-sensitive positions of
- Restore to the states the right to exclude from public employment and education those who refuse to testify about their Communist activities and associates.
- Restore to the executive branch the right to question aliens awaiting deportation about subversive associates and contacts, and the right to deport aliens who are found to be Communists after entering the United States.
- Restore to the executive branch the right to deny passports to those who refuse to sign a non-Communist affidavit.
- Restore to the states the right to exclude from the practice of law those who have been members of the Communist conspiracy or who refuse to testify about Communist activities.
- Be alert to any attempt by left-wing forces to dismantle or emasculate the FBI.
- Put into force the excellent recommendations of the Commission on Government Security which were published in June, 1957, but have never been acted upon.
- Become familiar with the advantages of using powerful peaceful pressures against the USSR, especially in the economic and political fields.
Suggestions for the Press
- Keep in mind the constant effort of the Communist apparatus to plant its agents in all mass communications media.
- Familiarize yourself with the current Communist line which appears earlier in this chapter. Watch for individuals who shift with that line-often contradicting themselves to accommodate the latest zig or zag of party strategy.
- In fulfilling the task of exposing crime, corruption and inefficiency in the American culture, be careful not to destroy confidence in American institutions. Because the negative forces in our society are more likely to be “news” than the positive accomplishments, it is easy to over-emphasize the negative side and provide extremely damaging propaganda to the enemy.
- Run features on current issues which reflect a solid American interpretation of the problem. The Communist avalanche of literature is often compounded by a left-wing slant to the news on a syndicated wire which leaves the American point of view practically unexpressed. More and more newspaper editors are recognizing this problem and are doing something about it.
- Use quotations from American patriots for box stories and fillers.
- Develop a program of liaison with public officials so they will have an assurance of your ability to keep a confidence. It is desirable to have the press briefed on developments even though they may be confidential. Most officials start out with a desire to cooperate closely with the press,
but they become secretive when distortions and premature releases weaken or destroy their capacity to get their job done properly.
- Some members of the press have the knack of detecting Communist influences in public life and have made excellent contributions by pointing these out. Temporarily, this action may not be popular, but it gives a newsman stature as events sustain his analysis. We need more analysts who are informed and sensitive to the techniques of the Communist apparatus.
Suggestions for Ministers
- The churches became a major target for Communist-Socialist infiltration many years ago. These people were successful in capturing many key positions in a number of important religious organizations. Some religious leaders openly advocate and defend Communist principles. They are apologists for the Soviet Union and even advocate capitulation under threat of atomic war.
- Study Judaism, Christianity and Communism to a point where you can quickly detect the fallacies which some persons in high places disseminate from their pulpits.
- Develop a Bible-reading congregation.
- Make religion a practical, dynamic force in the lives of the people.
- Resist the erosion of the Modernists who seek to discredit the Bible and to define God as an imaginary nonreality. As we pointed out in the first chapter of this book, many of those who started out a century ago to attack the Bible and to destroy our religious culture were close associates of Karl Marx.
- Be alert to detect those who use “Social Christianity” to cover up the fact that they are not Christians at all.
- Watch for those who would use the principles of peace, brotherhood, tolerance, and Christian charity to obscure the conspiratorial aspects of Communist “peace.” The peace of Communism partakes of the prison and the grave. Remind professional pacifists who have accepted the paralyzing peace propaganda of the Communists that the same Jesus who taught “love thy enemy” never advocated surrendering to him. The same Jesus who said, “Turn the other cheek” to avoid quarreling and bickering in the ordinary course of life, also said to take a sword to preserve life (Luke 22:36). The Jesus of Nazareth who cleansed the temple was demonstrating that Right deserves to be defended.
- If you come across those who labor under the misconception that Communism and Christianity have a common denominator, ask them to read the chapter in this book entitled, “Did the Early Christians Practice Communism?”
- Because of the counseling which ministers do, there are strenuous efforts to make inroads into the ministry. Be alert to the drive by certain analytical psychiatrists to have ministers accept their amoral philosophy. They opine that feelings of guilt and a sense of right and wrong cause mental illnesses. This entire concept is being discredited. There is far more mental health in the Judaic-Christian concept of resisting temptation and overcoming mistakes than ever emanated from the Freudian couch. I have prepared a rather comprehensive article on this subject, entitled, “Law Enforcement Looks at Mental Health,” which appears in the professional police magazine, Law and Order, for March, 1961.
- In counseling students who are having difficulty reconciling the many conflicting views which they hear in school, you might refer them to the last chapter in this book which is designed to help the student recognize the ideological conflict now in progress. It is hoped that this material will help them find their way through the confusion of many voices so as to maintain both moral and intellectual integrity.
- Be careful to read books before you recommend them. Recently some church groups have been induced to recommend books which turned out to be filled with obscenity. This is an important part of the Socialist-Communist campaign to discredit religious culture. What technique could better serve their purpose than to have the churches themselves sponsor degenerate literature!
- Set up study groups on both youth and adult levels to study Communism. Have qualified and well informed persons serve as discussion leaders.
The West Can Win
With every citizen watching for an opportunity to strike a blow for freedom, the forces of Communism can be halted, smothered, and then destroyed. This is our task. Without our tolerance and help the Communist empire would never have become the second strongest power in the earth. Now we have the job of dismantling it. Nikita Khrushchev knows the pressures we could bring pouring down upon him if our people ever make up their minds to move.
Any who may lack the courage for positive action might well recall the threat of Manuilsky which we have already quoted. He described Communist strategy for the period we are now passing through:
“We shall begin by launching the most spectacular peace movement on record… The capitalist countries, stupid and decadent, will rejoice to cooperate in their own destruction. They will leap at another chance to be friends. As soon as their guard is down, we shall smash them with our clenched fist!” 11
Today Communism is advancing on all fronts. Authorities say that if we let her feed on the West just a few more years it may be too late. How much better to send forth the message:
“There IS a way to stop Communism and do it without a major war!”
If free men are willing to study the problem and move across the world in one vast united front, it is entirely possible for the human race to celebrate the close of the Twentieth Century with this monumental achievement:
“FREEDOM IN OUR TIME FOR ALL MEN!”
11 – Pravda, November, 1931.